Alertness vs Being Unaware
Whenever we go into a public restaurant, my husband is going to sit down in a position where he can see what is going on in the restaurant, and he is going to be paying close attention to the people and the events happening the whole time we are there. I, on the other hand tend to have tunnel vision and to be oblivious to most of what is going on in my surroundings. This is not safe, as my husband is quick to remind me on an almost daily basis. “You need to pay attention”, he says……”always”. This is good advice in terms of our physical safety, but it is also good advice in terms of our spiritual well being too. We should strive to be ALERT vs Unaware.
1. Vigilantly attentive; watchful: alert to danger.
2. Mentally responsive and perceptive; quick.
3. Brisk or lively in action
Antonyms for Alertness: unwatchful, unvigilant, unalert, sleepy, sluggish, somnolent, dull, inactive
What the Bible saysabout Alertness:
1 Peter 5:8 Be sober minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
1 Thessalonians 5:6 So then let us not sleep, as others do, but let us keep awake and be sober.
Ephesians 6:18 Praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints.
Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Luke 21:36 But stay awake at all times, praying that you may have strength to escape all these things that are going to take place, and to stand before the Son of Man.
Matthew 24:42 Therefore, stay awake, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming.
1. Gideon’s army: When Gideon prepared to attack the Midianites, the Lord directed him to reduce the number of troops to 300 men. Gideon did this by requesting those who were afraid to return home. Since the number of troops was still too large, the Lord instructed Gideon to bring them down to the water. Those who bowed down upon their knees to drink were sent home. Those who brought the water to their mouths to drink were kept. Some have interpreted this event as God’s way of finding those who were most alert to the enemy. If they brought the water to their mouths in their hands, their eyes could continue checking the area for enemies.
2. The Parable of the 10 virgins: Site where this parable is explored.
The Example of Jesus to Us:
1. He was always alert for opportunities to witness and to be aware of the spiritual needs of others: ie Zaccheus, the woman at the well, the woman about to be stoned.
2. He was alert to not letting others distract Him from His purpose: ie when many in Capernaum wanted him to stay and he informed them that he had other cities he needed to go and preach the gospel to (Matthew and Luke).
3. He was alert to spiritual warfare: He would routinely withdraw from the hustle and bustle of life and go away to privately spend time in prayer and communion with His Father. He was alert to the deceptions and temptations of Satan in the desert, and was able to counter Satan’s lies with spiritual truth. The night of his arrest, he remained alert and watchful and focused on spiritually preparing for what was to come.
PERSONAL APPLICATION AND THOUGHTS:
Obviously after reviewing scripture this week, a big key to staying alert spiritually is PRAYER. Although I do not fully grasp how prayer impacts the spiritual and physical world, the Bible clearly emphasizes prayer as a powerful weapon and tool for the Christian walk. I conclude that being a prayer warrior is a part of being alert, as well as staying focused on God’s will for your life. I want to be alert to God revealing himself to me in the daily occurrences of my life( See To Catch A Glimpse of You Lord pt 1 .) I want to be eagerly watchful and prepared for His return.
Prayer For You: May God develop in you the character discipline of ALERTNESS. May you be alert to the spiritual warfare, and the spiritual wonder around you. May you be ever watchful and eagerly awaiting His return for you, His beloved bride.
Image Above: Copyright (c) <a href=’http://www.123rf.com’>123RF Stock Photos</a>